UPDATE: Man dies of gunshot wound in Parkmerced

An unidentified man was shot and killed Monday, Jan. 28 around 5 p.m. near the corner of Font Boulevard and Chumasero Drive in Parkmerced.

The San Francisco Police Department responded to a 911 call and officers were dispatched from the Taraval Station.

The man was not a victim of homicide, according to SFPD Officer Carlos Manfredi, but the final cause of death could not be determined pending a report by the medical examiner.

We’ll keep this story updated as details emerge.

Update 9:15 a.m.:

Emilia Rosales, a 22-year-old journalism major, lives across the street from the scene of the shooting.

“I heard a gunshot but didn’t think anything of it,” Rosales said. “My roommate looked outside and we saw dozens of police cars and fire trucks and security. I wasn’t scared at first, but when I saw what was going on I started crying.”

Rosales said that it appeared that emergency responders tried to resuscitate the victim.

“I saw people watching from other apartments while the fire department tried to do CPR for 30 to 45 minutes, but the person wasn’t moving and there was a lot of blood. Eventually they took them away in an ambulance,” she said.

“It’s really sad. Things like that don’t usually happen in Parkmerced.”

We’ll update this post as more details emerge.