Wife of alleged bribe schemer arrested

The wife of the former SF State environmental health and occupational safety director who allegedly took part in a bribery scheme that cheated the University out of millions of dollars, was arrested for burglary and possession of stolen property by University Police, according to an internal memo obtained by Golden Gate Xpress.

After a sting operation including the use of covert surveillance equipment, Julie Shearer, records supervisor for the campus police department, was arrested by UPD according to the memo. She was arrested April 8 in posession of U.S. currency belonging to a co-worker, according to four charges from the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.

Julie Shearer, Robert Shearer's wife, and son enter the courtroom before Shearer arraignment at the Hall of Justice on Friday, April 26, 2013. Shearer is the former SF State Director of Environmental Health and Occupational Safety who plead not guilty to 128 felony charges for allegedly accepting bribes that cost the University millions. Photo by Gabriella Gamboa / Xpress
Julie Shearer, Robert Shearer's wife, and son enter the courtroom before Shearer arraignment at the Hall of Justice Friday, April 26, 2013. Robert Shearer is the former SF State director of Environmental Health and Occupational Safety who plead not guilty to 128 felony charges for allegedly accepting bribes that cost the University millions. Photo by Gabriella Gamboa / Xpress

The memo, written and signed by Patrick M. Wasley, chief of SF State police, states: “Ms. Shearer was the subject of a theft allegation in the department. I initiated an Internal Affairs investigation and authorized a sting operation and the use of covert surveillance equipment.”

Julie Shearer was charged of burglarizing 100 North State Dr., the University Police station, where she worked as a records supervisor and police dispatcher, according to the District Attorney’s charges.

Police dispatchers are the ones responsible for inputting information into the campus crime log on their downtime, according to a source who spoke with Xpress on the condition of anonymity. Julie Shearer’s arrest was not posted on the crime log.

The UPD crime log website states, “The SF State Crime, Arrest, and Fire Log covers the past 60 days. Incidents are posted to the Log within 48 hours of occurrence. If a case disposition changes, it will be reflected in the log within 48 hours. If an arrest (is) made, the arrest information will be posted directly below the corresponding incident.”

When the lack of an entry in the crime log was brought to the attention of University Police by a Golden Gate Xpress reporter, Wasley said, “It’s an unfortunate oversight that this one (Julie Shearer crime log entry) has not yet been posted, and it will be posted on Monday (April 29).”

The surveillance equipment confirmed allegations of Julie Shearer’s involvement in a theft and she subsequently admitted to two thefts while being interviewed, according to the memo.

The District Attorney’s office confirmed that Julie Shearer is charged with “unlawfully entering a commercial building occupied by SF State with intent to commit larceny and felony.”

In the memo, Wasley wrote, “These actions are unacceptable in any situation and even more strikingly so in the University Police Department. For that reason, I request that appropriate disciplinary action be taken.”

Julie Shearer has been put on administrative leave, according to Ellen Griffin, University spokesperson.

“It’s distressing when a law enforcement professional is arrested, but taking immediate action was essential. We have made the arrest and now trust in the legal system,” said Wasley.

Robert Shearer, Julie’s husband, pled not guilty to 128 felony counts of bribery earlier today. He is accused of taking part in a bribery scheme that spanned a seven-year period with Stephen Cheung, owner and operator of Chemical HazMat Technologies.

Robert Shearer allegedly took numerous bribes from Cheung in exchange for Shearer approving Cheung’s company’s overpriced hazardous waste removal contracts.

Robert Shearer was arrested April 18 at his residency in Fremont without incident according to the DA’s office. His alleged partner in the bribery scheme, Stephen Cheung, led police on a high speed chase before crashing his car, bailing on foot, and quickly being arrested near 44th Avenue and Ulloa Street.

Julie Shearer was arraigned April 15 and has a pretrial conference scheduled for May 30. Golden Gate Xpress reached out to Julie Shearer, but she was unavailable for immediate comment.

Julie first met Robert when she was with the Twin Cities Police Department, according to an SF State news memo.

According to a report by the Marin Independent Journal, Robert was forced out of his 1985 position as Corte Madera fire chief amid allegations of misconduct.

The Golden Gate Xpress will continue to update you on our ongoing investigation of this matter. If you have any tips about Robert or Julie Shearer, contact Matt Saincome at [email protected] or tweet him @MattSaincome.