Power outage in Lot 20

An out of order sign is displayed on an SF State Lot 20 parking structure elevator during a power outage that occurred Monday, Dec. 9, 2013. The elevators are expected to remain out of order on Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, but the rest of the structure now has power. Photo by Jessica Christian / Xpress

Students arrived to Lot 20 today, Monday, Dec. 9 2013, to find signs on the payment meters that read, “Due to power outage, free parking today.”

The power outage in the lot took out the lights, elevators and payment machines inside the building. The signs were placed on payment machines in the morning by the Parking and Transportation Department, and later they added signs to the elevators. Additional lighting was brought into Lot 20 by lights on wires, strung across the ceiling of the parking lot floors to provide minimal lighting for students to see. A few large lights were placed outside of the structure.

The SF State Parking and Transportation Department confirmed that they posted the signs in Lot 20, but declined to answer any further questions from Xpress, including how long the power in Lot 20 was out.

As of now, the power is back on in Lot 20 and students can expect to pay regular prices for parking tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013.

The lights and meters are working in Lot 20, but the elevators are currently still out of order. If you need assistance because of the lack of elevators, you can call the University Police Department for help. Parking and Transportation did not know how long the elevators will be out of order.