SF State student shot to death in SOMA

An intoxicated SF State student was shot and killed early Saturday morning when he entered a third-floor unit, two floors beneath his apartment at Mission and Fifth Streets, according to the San Francisco Police Department.

SFPD discovered Stephen Guillermo, who was scheduled to graduate at the end of this semester with a degree in international relations, dead inside the apartment of Amisi Sudi Kachepa around 1:40 a.m.

“After what his brother called a night of hard partying with friends, he came back to his apartment building on Saturday morning,” his cousin Emil Guillermo wrote on an education website. “Right building, wrong apartment.”

Officers arrested Kapecha, 68, and booked him on a homicide charge at San Francisco County Jail, according to SFPD Officer Gordon Shyy.

“Stephan (sic) had some time off work and was officially on his ”long weekend.” He was planning a mini-road trip,” wrote Emil on his personal website. “I saw he went to see the Giants this week. I was going to give him my tickets to the next home stand.”

The 26-year-old student immigrated to San Francisco from the Philippines in the mid-1990s, according to Emil. After his father’s death around four years ago, he worked two jobs to support his mother and younger siblings.

“The SF State community is saddened to hear of the sudden loss of Stephen Guillermo, a student at SF State,” said Mary Ann Begley, associate dean of students. “Our thoughts and compassion go out to Stephen’s family and friends during this difficult time.”

A memorial fund has been set up in Guillermo’s name here. Donations will contribute to a memorial service.

Additional reporting by Chris Sanchez