UPDATED: Former SF State Professor allegedly filmed students using private restroom

A former SF State professor is being accused of recording current and former students in the bathroom of his home, the Examiner reported.

Mark Landis, an accounting professor who resigned July 18, is charged with 15 misdemeanor counts of invasion of privacy for allegedly recording students using the restroom during a party he hosted, the Examiner reported.

The San Francisco Sheriff’s Department (SFSD) booked Landis yesterday, but the former professor of accounting has since been released from county jail on $100,000 bail, according to Enrique Luquin, senior deputy of the SFSD.

Landis is scheduled to appear in court July 29.
UPDATE: Thanh Ngo, attorney for Mark Landis, entered a not guilty plea to all 15 charges against the former SF State professor July 29.

Assistant District Attorney Laura Carwile submitted a protective order in court to prevent Landis, 38, from contacting victims in the case. Carwile also mentioned the possibility of there being more victims who have not come forward.

“These are only allegations,” Ngo said outside the courtroom, adding that he was disappointed with how long it took the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office to present the case.

Alex Bastian, a spokesperson for the district attorney’s office who was also outside the courtroom, said that forensic analysis and identifying victims were two components that took the district attorney’s office a long time to process.

“You’re a professor kind of abusing the trust of victims,” said Bastian. “And the victims being students, it really puts the case in a different light.”

Before his resignation, Landis worked as an associate professor of accounting at SF State since 2006 and was on leave since November 2013, according to Ellen Griffin, a spokesperson for SF State.

“(Landis) is doing fine and looking forward to his day in court,” Ngo said of the defendant.

Landis is scheduled to appear before the court Sept. 9 at 9 a.m.

Additional reporting by Nashelly Chavez