Bomb threat in Mission revealed to be hoax

Police respond to a bomb threat on Bartlett Street between 22nd and 23rd streets in the Mission District on Friday February 27, 2015. People were told to remain situated and residents in the surrounding area evacuated their homes. Police cleared the scene at about 10:45pm. (Emma Chiang / Xpress)

San Francisco police and bomb squad responded to a bomb threat on Bartlett Street between 22nd and 23rd streets in the Mission District Friday evening.

The bomb squad discovered a suspicious package described as a pipe and wires on Bartlett Street at 7:50 p.m., according to police. After determining there was no threat, officers reopened the area to the public around 10:45 p.m.
“I don’t know exactly what they (the bomb squad) did, but it shows that it is no longer an active bomb,” Officer Brent Sullivan said.

Police told residents to remain in their homes while officers placed yellow tape to block off multiple blocks that included 22nd to 24th streets and Capp to Valencia streets.

“There is a bomb in the area and we’re trying to keep people out of it,” Sullivan said.

A bomb squad arrived at the scene and police told residents to evacuate an hour later, according to local resident Lori Regalia, who lives at 23rd and Bartlett streets.

“A guy in like a space suit was taking pictures and going back and forth to the police,” Regalia said. “The police then came and evacuated our block. They think there is a bomb right across the street from my house.”

Several neighbors tried to return to their homes but were told to keep the area clear until all the yellow tape was removed.