Arizona and Texas university shootings leave two dead, several wounded

Two separate school shootings, one at Northern Arizona University and the other at Texas Southern University, left two dead and several wounded Oct. 9.

The shootings fell on the same day as President Barack Obama’s visit Oregon where a mass shooting took place at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg last week, according to Voices of America.

The two early morning shootings resulted in one fatality at each school and campus-wide lock downs, 12newsnow.com reported.

The NAU gunman opened fire multiple times in a dormitory parking lot at 1:20 a.m., killing one student and wounding three others, according to CBS News.

The victims were treated for gunshot wounds at Flagstaff Medical Center, according to AZ Central. NAU Police Chief Greg Fowler said the suspect fired multiple shots after a confrontation between the victims and the shooter, the article said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the families or the person that was killed and the three others who were wounded in the horrific shooting on the campus of Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff early this morning,” said Arizona Senator John McCain in a statement to KTLA 5 News.

The TSU shooting occurred on student housing around 11:30 a.m., leaving one person dead and one wounded, according to CBS Local. The campus lockdown has been lifted after two suspects have been arrested, but police are currently still searching for a third suspect, according to Houston Police public information officer Jodi Silva.

TSU President John M. Rudley confirmed the shooting occurred on campus and said “too many guns are accessible to students and to people in general in our community,” according to reports from ABC 13.

The two shootings follow a similar attack last week at Umpqua Community College in Oregon that resulted in nine dead, according to The New York Times.