GUPs demonstrates solidarity with Palestinian journalist

General Union of Palestine Students members are joined by the Pilipino American Collegiate Endeavor Tuesday, Feb. 23, as they march from Malcolm X Plaza to the Ethnic Studies and Psychology Building. (Lauren Saldana / Special to Xpress)

The General Union of Palestine Students came together at Malcolm X Plaza Tuesday afternoon in a demonstration of solidarity with Palestinian journalist Mohammed Al-Qeeq, who is being imprisoned without charges by the Israeli government and is currently on a hunger strike.

Rabab Abdulhadi, associate professor of race and resistance studies and an advisor and founder of GUPS, spoke about the potential loss of certain departments within the College of Ethnic Studies. Abdulhadi is also the head of the Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Initiative, a minor program in Ethnic Studies, and said the program is on the verge of being shut down.

“(Ethnic studies) is a place to produce justice-centered knowledge,” Abdulhadi said.

There are only 16 students enrolled in the program. Abdulhadi said she wants the program to become a major.

GUPS rallied at the plaza and marched to the College of Ethnic Studies in opposition to potential loss of funding.

Abulhadi encouraged students to make their voices heard and help fight to preserve not only the historic College of Ethnic Studies, but also the AMED program.

“We have to make sure we preserve the College of Ethnic Studies here today,” Abdulhadi said. “This is our home. When we come together, nobody can stop us.”

Dr. Rabab Abdulhadi, associate professor of ethnic studies/race and resistance studies, speaks to students about Palestine in Malcolm X Plaza, Tuesday, Feb. 23. (Steven Ho / Special to Xpress)