SF State student found dead near campus

An SF State student was found dead near Stonestown Galleria on Wednesday, according to a statement released by President Leslie E. Wong.

A police investigation is underway in the death of the student, accounting major Maxim Tolstov. Foul play is not suspected, according to the statement.

“We extend our deepest sympathies to Maxim’s family and friends for their profound loss.” Wong said. “As we struggle to make sense of this loss, please remember that counseling and support services are available to all members of the SF State community.”

Title IX coordinator and vp of student affairs Luoluo Hong echoed Wong’s sentiments in an email sent out to the campus community, emphasizing the counseling services available to students, faculty and staff.

“We want to reiterate how important it is to take care of yourselves and each other during this time,” Hong said in the email. “I know that exams are happening either now or soon for all of you, so the stress factor is up there. Our staff are here for you, and please don’t hesitate to access available services.”

The Counseling and Psychological Services Center offers both group and individual counseling for students impacted by the death, and is located in room 208 of the Student Services building. Students can also call the office at (415) 338-2208.  Faculty and staff can speak with a counselor by calling the Employee Assistance Program at (800) 367-7474.