Campus Safety Week

On October 14, SF State hosted its 3rd annual Campus Safety Week event. 

SF State on-site resources including Enterprise Risk Management, Environment, Health and Safety, and the University Police Department will conduct a variety of trainings throughout the week promoting health and safety both on and off campus. 

“This event was created because it provided us with the opportunity to provide training that would help the community both on campus and in their personal lives,” said Risk Manager Mike Beatty. 

Kicking off the festivities yesterday was the “Tabling on the Quad” event held at Malcolm X Plaza where faculty, staff and students spoke with event host departments and external agencies to learn about available resources. 

A new exhibit on display yesterday was the “Shake Truck” which gave attendees a realistic yet fun first-hand experience on what an earthquake, up to a magnitude 8.1, would feel like. More earthquake preparedness information will be available on Wednesday in the library room 121, 2:30-3:30 p.m. 

“Actual items fall from the walls,” said Administrative Analyst Wendy Lopez. “It’s cool because it gives people the chance to really interact.” 

Self-defense workshops, active threat training and emergency fire extinguisher training will be offered throughout safety week. Campus resources will also emphasize personal well-being this year regarding mental health, suicide prevention and perscription drug awareness. 

The therapy animal program will have a therapy dog station set up in front of the library today at 12 p.m. where they aim to build a community through raising awareness and stress relief. 

All attendees will be entered into a raffle drawing with a chance to win free goody bags, including preparedness and emergency kits for the household. 

More information, including a schedule of events, can be found at http://www.erm.sfsu.edu/