Cal State system commits to increase graduation rate

The Chancellor of the California State University system announced a new plan to improve graduation rates at the State of the CSU address in Long Beach Jan. 27.

In his address, Timothy P. White, seventh chancellor of the CSU system, celebrated the achievements of the program, discussed the current state of affairs and announced a new commitment to enhance graduation for students.

“At the end of the day, we all, the state and the university, share common cause in seeing more students succeed at higher rates so they can go on to design California’s future,” White said.

The plan, known as Graduation Initiative 2025, seeks to increase graduation rates and reduce the amount of time spent on undergraduate degrees. The board of trustees named raising degree completion rates from 51 percent to 60 percent systemwide for incoming freshman by 2025, maximizing graduation rates for transfer students and bridging the historical gap for low-income and underserved students as the primary goals of the plan, according to White.

Following his address, the chancellor opened up the floor for participants to discuss major issues affecting their respective universities.

SF State President Leslie Wong requested approval from the board to rename the student wellness center after Manny Mashouf, alumnus founder of Bebe Stores, Inc. Mashouf’s gift of $10 million is the largest gift SF State has received from an alumnus for the enrichment of the campus, Wong said.

The board of trustees rubber-stamped the decision the same day without debate. Associated Students Inc. approved the naming of the school’s wellness center after Mashouf Oct. 1, 2014.

“The education Mr. Mashouf received at SF State provided many opportunities and resources which encouraged his success in business,” Wong said. “The naming of our new student wellness center in Mr. Mashouf’s honor is an appropriate recognition of one of our most distinguished alumni.”