Gators return to campus (Photo Gallery)

The first day of the Fall 2021 semester marks a widespread return of students to live instruction since the start of the pandemic, in the Spring 2021 semester
Student clubs set up table on the Quad for in-person consulting with students. (Sabita Shrestha/ Golden Gate Xpress)

About half of the student body at SF State returned to campus for the first week of instruction of the Fall 2021 semester — a return that university officials have spent months preparing for.

The California State University system announced last fall that in-person instruction would resume in the Fall 2021 semester. Since then, CSU campuses such as SF State had to navigate a plethora of tasks and challenges, including implementing guidelines from the San Francisco Department of Public Health; requesting students to upload proof of their vaccination status to be on campus; and measuring classrooms to determine the proper social distancing, among other tasks.

According to SF State President Lynn Mahoney, over 98% of students submitted their proof of vaccination, with less than 2% requesting a religious or medical exemption.

“If all Americans vaccinated at the rate that San Francisco State students got themselves vaccinated, we’d have one heck of a healthy country,” Mahoney said. “So I am just grateful — I want you here in person, and vaccination is the route to do that. So thank you.”